Dr. John E. Upledger, 1932-2012
TIME Magazine, one of America's "Next Wave of Innovators" for his proven clinical applications of CranioSacral Therapy.
- Co-Founder, The Upledger Institute (now Upledger Institute International)
- Medical Director, Upledger Clinical Services
- 1975-1983 clinical researcher and Professor of Biomechanics at Michigan State University
- Certified Fellow of the American Academy of Osteopathy
- Academic Fellow of the British Society of Osteopathy
- Doctor of Science, Medicina Alternativa
- Member of Alternative Medicine Program Advisory Council for the Office of Alternative Medicine at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Washington, D.C.
Discipline and Conference Developer
- CranioSacral Therapy
- SomatoEmotional Release
- The Brain Speaks
- Immune Response
- Upledger Intensive Therapy Programs
- CranioSacral - Dolphin Integrative Therapy Programs
- CranioSacral - Post Traumatic Stress Disorders (PTSD) Programs
- Beyond the Dura
- CranioSacral Therapy
- CranioSacral Therapy II - Beyond The Dura
- SomatoEmotional Release and Beyond
- Your Inner Physician and You
- A Brain is Born
- CranioSacral Therapy, Touchstone for Natural Healing
- Working Wonders, Changing Lives with CranioSacral Therapy
- Cell Talk
- SomatoEmotional Release: Deciphering the Language of Life
Author (articles and other writings)
- Author (articles and other writings)
- Study guides for disciplines/classroom instructions
Leader and Innovator
Throughout his career as an osteopathic physician, Dr. Upledger was recognized as an innovator and leading proponent in the investigation of new therapies. His development of CranioSacral Therapy in particular earned him an international reputation.
Although much of his experience was garnered through private clinical practice, Dr. Upledger served from 1975-1983 as a clinical researcher and Professor of Biomechanics at Michigan State University. During those years he supervised a team of anatomists, physiologists, biophysicists and bioengineers in experiments testing the existence and influence of the craniosacral system.
The results of those scientific studies explained the function of the craniosacral system and its use in evaluating and treating poorly understood malfunctions of the brain and spinal cord. Dr. Upledger went on to develop CranioSacral Therapy and other complementary disciplines that are now taught worldwide to healthcare professionals through Upledger Institute International's educational programs.
Dr. John E. Upledger was co-founder of Upledger Institute International, Inc. and former medical director of Upledger Clinical Services. Born on February 10, 1932 in Detroit, Michigan, Dr. Upledger passed away on October 26, 2012 at his home in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. For manual therapists and other healthcare practitioners worldwide, his legacy is his generosity of spirit in sharing his discoveries and knowledge and ensuring their right to practice, For his patients and the patients of his students, his legacy is an open mind and heart to the validity of non-traditional medical approaches. For his family and good friends everywhere, his legacy is to stay with your journey despite the obstacles. He has proudly passed the torch From His Hands to Ours.
Over 150,000 practitioners trained in more than 122 countries have taken Upledger courses.
Ready to learn about becoming a certified CST practitioner?